Clarence H. Marquardt Sr.
Services for Clarence H. (Hank) Marquardt St., former Longton, Kan., resident, will be at 1 p.m. today at the Oak Valley Cemetery, Oak Valley, Kan., with the Rev. Dean Von Stroh, pastor of Peace Lutheran Church, Andover, officiating. Burial will be under the direction of the Potts Chapel, Independence. Military graveside rites will be conducted by the Ft. Riley Military Detachment.
Mr. Marquardt died Monday, June 17, 2002, at St. Joseph's Hospital, Wichita. He was born Oct. 3, 1915, in Elmdale, Kan., the son of William H. Marquardt and Sarah O. (Piper) Marquardt. He grew up and attended schools in the Chase and Elk county area and graduated from Longton High School.
Mr. Marquardt served with the U.S. Army from February 1945 until his honorable discharge in July 1946.
He was employed by M-K-T Railroad in Parsons, Kan., from 1946 until his retirement in 1977.
He married Dorothy Marie Wiltfong on July 27, 1939. She preceded him in death on Nov. 3, 1990.
He was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church, Parsons, and was associated with Peace Lutheran Church of Andover, the AARP and the railroad clerk's union.
Survivors include a son, Clarence H. Marquardt Jr., Tonganoxie; a daughter, Gwendolyn P. Hensley, Rose Hill, Kan.; eight grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to the American Heart Association or Peace Lutheran Church, Andover.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Fourth of July fireworks, folk art at the Nelson
- Public invited to see Tonganoxie artist create mural inside local business this weekend
- Kansas City Connection: The art of ‘Rising Up,’ and visiting some old haunts
- Kansas City Connection: Pick up a unique gift at an upcoming arts and crafts fair
- Kansas project to focus on lesser known historical figures