Obituary/John H. Searcy Jr.
Services for John H. Searcy Jr., 80, Leavenworth, were Thursday, March 21, 2002, at Holy Angels Catholic Church, 15410 Leavenworth Rd., with burial in Holy Angels Cemetery.
Mr. Searcy died March 18, 2002, at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan. He was born Feb. 8, 1922, the son of John and Nellie E. Martin Searcy.
He was a U.S. Navy veteran of World War II. He had been employed with three railroads and retired from the Burlington Northern after 35 years of service.
He was a member of the church, the Veteran of Foreign Wars, the Knights of Columbus, Wyandotte Masonic Lodge, the Scottish Rite and the clown unit of the Abdallah Shrine. He had been a master mason since Aug. 13, 1943. And he served the Boy Scouts of America in various roles in Illinois and Missouri for more than 40 years.
He was an honor guard for President Truman's funeral and at President Eisenhower's Tomb in Abilene.
He was preceded in death by his first wife, Faye, in 1991 and his second wife, Wilma, in 2000.
Memorial contributions may be made to the church or to the Abdallah Shrine. Porter Funeral Home, Kansas City, Kan., handled arrangements.
More like this story
- Linenberger: Brownback's decision on LGBT protections should trigger public action
- Kobach says Kansas attracted most new businesses since 2003
- Push on to make catfish a Kansas state symbol
- Kansas Senate approves concealed carry of guns without training or permit
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck