Voters cast ballots, one way or the other
Yesterday in Leavenworth County, approximately one-third of registered voters went to the polls. That means a majority, or about two-thirds chose not to vote. Those figures don't take into account the number of citizens who are not registered to vote. Perhaps they, like the registered voters who failed to vote are satisfied with the status quo.
Complancency is defined as a feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger or trouble.
When two-thirds of eligible voters abrogate their right to participate in an election, they are casting a strong absentee ballott.
The majority should rule by action, not inaction. Voter registration, participation in all sizes of government and a renewed acuity in the political arena are a must. Not to mention the trip to the polls.
Today begins the next election.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie police chief commended for actions at scene of motorcycle accident
- Tonganoxie City Council OKs proposed 2016 budget
- Former Shawnee music teacher charged with molestation missing from house arrest
- Remember When: A community review
- Tonganoxie free community fitness program attracts nearly 90 at first official session