Obituary: Sidney M. Kinney
Sidney Michael Kinney, a former Tonganoxie, Kan., resident, died Oct. 22, 2002, in Battle Creek. Burial was in Newton Cemetery, Newton Township, Calhoun County, Mich.
Mr. Kinney, 81, was born April 10, 1921, in Douglas, Wyo., the son of Michael H. Kinney and Belle Leah (Cargill) Kinnery. The family moved to Tonganoxie and then to Lawrence, Kan.
In 1999, Mr. Kinney moved to Ceresco, Mich., from Kansas to marry Helen Mae Dilsaver. She survives.
After graduation from Oread High School in Lawrence, Mr. Kinney was employed by the Windsor Review of Windsor, Mo., and published a weekly newspaper.
He worked for the Topeka Daily Capitol newspaper and then the State of Kansas printing office, retiring in 1981.
Mr. Kinney served in the U.S. Army in World War II and was a member of the Medical Detachment of the 243rd Engineer Combat Battalion in the European Theater of Operations.
Survivors in Kansas include a sister, Mildred Williams, Topeka; niece and husband, Sharon and Danny Farmer; and nephew and wife, Gary and Wanda Williams, Tonganoxie.
Mr. Kinney was previously married to Ines M. (Gretencord) Kinney. She died in 1997.
More like this story
- Face to Face: New Tonganoxie Public Libary board member Loralee Stevens
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie High school's Mary Welsh
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie High School's Janie Bennett
- Tonganoxie VFW, American Legion planning Memorial Day weekend services
- Douglas County Fair returns July 24 with new theme, kiddie derby