Health official leaving county
After three months on the job, Leavenworth County Health Department's administrator is moving on.
Allan Humpherys, who started work with the health department on Aug. 28, has accepted a position as director of clinical education and quality assurance for American Medical Response in Topeka. The corporation is a private provider of medical transportation.
"I'm pleased with it," Humpherys said Monday. "There's a lot of potential in the position they've offered me."
Humpherys said he sees an interesting future with AMR.
"They assured me that we'll have the opportunity to grow and expand and move programs regionally," Humpherys said. "That's the exciting part for me."
Humpherys' last day with the health department is Friday. He starts his new job Monday.
He said the experience with the county, including a smallpox scare in September, was valuable.
"I have enjoyed it," said Humpherys, who lives in Prairie Village. "If this weren't such a great opportunity that they presented to me, I wouldn't be leaving."
Until a new county health department administrator is appointed, Humpherys said he thought Sylvia Burns, the nursing director, would be in charge.
More like this story
- Hill touts career experiences in Leavenworth County Commission race
- Leavenworth County commissioner's replacement would have to run for re-election in 2018
- Leavenworth County commissioners revoke bond support for proposed Tyson chicken plant near Tonganoxie
- Tyson plant opponents pack Leavenworth County Commission meeting
- Incumbents ousted in primaries