Obituary: Gussie R. Smith
Services for Gussie "Gus" R. Smith, 69, Lawrence, were Friday, Sept. 27, 2002, at Warren-McElwain Mortuary in Lawrence. Burial was in Oak Hill Cemetery, Lawrence.
Mr. Smith died Sept. 23, 2002, at St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo. He was born April 20, 1933, in Altus, Ark., the son of Noah and Imogene (Horner) Smith.
Mr. Smith served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He was a forklift driver for Lawrence Paper Company for 43 years until he retired in 1993.
He was a member of Mount Oread Aerie No. 309 Fraternal Order of Eagles, American Legion Dorsey-Liberty Post No. 14, and Veterans of Foreign Wars Alford-Clarke Post No. 852, where he served as post commander for two terms. He also did volunteer work for veterans.
He married Dorothy Hill on March 8, 1952. She died March 20, 1993. He married Rose C. Farrell Tarr on Feb. 14, 1996, in Miami, Okla. She survives of the home.
Other survivors include five sons, Bill Smith, Lawrence, Dave Kendrick, Colcord, Okla., Jerry Kendrick, Tonganoxie, Allen Tarr, Lawrence, and Matthew Tarr, Fort Myers, Fla.; 11 grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to the oncology department at St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., sent in care of the mortuary, 120 W. 13th St., Lawrence, 66044-3402.
More like this story
- Leavenworth County commissioners revoke bond support for proposed Tyson chicken plant near Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie City Council agenda for April 6, 2015
- A closer look at Leavenworth County Humane Society
- Tonganoxie USD 464 special meeting tonight for superintendent search, teacher contract
- Leavenworth, Douglas county officials battle grass fires; Tonganoxie chief offers prevention tips