New Tonganoxie postmaster named
Ron Hubbard says his work as postmaster is so much fun that he's surprised he gets paid for it.
"I love it, it's great working with the people and doing all that," Hubbard said.
Hubbard, 49, has been named Tonganoxie's new postmaster, after serving as interim postmaster for one year.
Hubbard, who grew up in the Midwest, lives in Lawrence with Debby, his wife of 27 years. The couple has two grown sons, Brandon, 24, and Antony, 26, who work in the music industry.
Hubbard started his postal career as a part-time clerk in Lawrence. He worked his way up, and was appointed in 1990 as postmaster at Mound City. For eight and a half years he drove the 168-mile round trip from Lawrence to Mound City. In 1998, he was transferred to the Pomona Post Office, a position he held until coming to Tonganoxie a year ago.
In his spare time, Hubbard takes to the golf course whenever he can, and recently spent a day golfing with his father and brother.
Hubbard, who will be eligible for retirement in six years, said he may stay in the work force longer than that. He and his wife hope to move to a home somewhere between Lawrence and Tonganoxie early next year.
More like this story
- 2 Kansas school districts to close early because of budgets
- Tonganoxie High seniors receive scholarships at awards night
- Young Royals fan who fought cancer has died
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures
- Kansas' broad marijuana bill attracts bulk of GOP votes