Fire damages mobile home
Tonganoxie city firefighters extinguished a blaze Friday morning in a mobile home in Paradise Trailer Park, just south of Tonganoxie.
The fire, which was reported shortly before 10 a.m. by owner Jeff Bates, apparently started because incense was left burning in a can that had been placed on an island countertop in the kitchen. Firefighters said electrical wires ran through the countertop, but none of the breakers in the mobile home had been tripped. So they believe the incense was the cause.
Bates said he had moved out of the mobile home about a month ago, but he told firefighters he was in the structure the night before the fire. That was when he had burned the incense.
Bates said he had hoped to sell the mobile home, but that didn't now appear likely because of smoke damage throughout the structure. In addition, the kitchen was damaged.
More like this story
- Kansas, five other states sue Obama administration over Affordable Care Act
- Tonganoxie High seniors shine in boys basketball regular-season finale
- Coffeyville weathers Amazon job losses better than expected
- Confirmed mountain lion sightings rise in Missouri, Kansas
- Tonganoxie freshman Brusven named to all-LJW basketball team