Chieftains advance in regionals
THS soccer next takes on Maranatha Academy on Thursday
Neither team had the glossiest of records, but in the postseason, that doesn't really matter.
Basehor-Linwood was 5-11 coming into Tuesday's regional game, while Tonganoxie was 5-10-1.
But in Tonganoxie's final home match of the season drizzle-filled Chieftain Park, that didn't matter. The Chieftains managed a win on Travis Andrews' overtime shot as THS advanced in regionals with a 2-1 win. The victory put Tonganoxie in the Regional 1 championship.
The score came in the second minute of overtime. The Chieftains also scored first in regulation with a Kirk Rodell kick. The goal came in the 22nd minute on an Andrews assist. In overtime, Rodell returned the favor, assisting Andrews on the game-winning goal.
Basehor-Linwood (5-12) managed a goal just before halftime in the 37th minute.
Tonganoxie outshot BLHS 15-8 for the game. The Chieftains had just four shots on goal in the second half, while the Bobcats had four goals each half.
THS goalie Luke Brown had eight saves on the night; BLHS had six.
Now 6-10-1, Tonganoxie will face top-seeded Maranatha Academy (10-5-1) in Shawnee. The game will start at 3:15 p.m. Thursday.
More like this story
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Linenberger: Brownback's decision on LGBT protections should trigger public action
- Carlisle no longer Tonganoxie High principal