Archive for Wednesday, September 4, 2002

The Record

September 4, 2002

Tonganoxie Police

A Panasonic AV mixer was reported stolen at 9 a.m. last Wednesday from Tonganoxie Junior High School. The mixer was valued at $700.

Two tires were reported damaged at 9:10 a.m. Friday in the 300 block of Fourth Street. Damage was estimated at $120.

A driving under the influence arrest was made at 7 p.m. Friday at Second and Main streets. The arrest came after the suspect ran into another car at the intersection. Other evidence related to the DUI was also sent to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.

Police responded at 12:05 p.m. Friday to a keep the peace in the 100 block of 12th Street. An individual turned over keys and papers for a semi trailer during the incident.

A non-injury accident occurred at 11:40 p.m. Saturday near a DUI checkpoint at U.S. Highway 24-40 and Washington Street. A vehicle driven by Kyle Kelly, Lansing, rear-ended a vehicle driven by Nancy McCune, Leavenworth. Four passengers were also in Kelly's vehicle.

Leavenworth County Sheriff

A mini-bike was stolen from an accident scene at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 25 in the 16000 block of Evans Road. After the bike wrecked, the owner went for help because the bike was stuck. Upon returning an hour later, the bike was stolen.

Loss was estimated at $600.

More than $500 worth of tools were stolen between 4:30 p.m. Aug. 21 and 8:30 a.m. Aug. 22 from a trailer in the 15900 block of Woodend Road. The trailer, owned by a Kansas City, Mo., company, was entered by cutting off the trailer's padlock. Numerous hand tools, extension cords, a shop vac and a radio charger were taken.

Someone removed a street sign around 1 a.m. Aug. 23 from the corner of 187th Street and Mt. Olivet between Easton and Leavenworth. The sign was discovered in an abandoned car at Fourth and Kickapoo streets.

Kansas Highway Patrol

A 23-year-old McLouth man died early Monday from injuries he received in a one-vehicle accident nearly four miles northwest of McLouth.

Theron K. "Kenny" Eades was traveling west on Fairview Road just west of Wellman Road about 11:50 p.m. Sunday when the truck he was driving missed a curve and struck a tree, according to the Kansas Highway Patrol. He was flown by air ambulance to the University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan., where he died about 1:50 a.m. Monday. The patrol said he was not wearing a seatbelt.

An obituary for Mr. Eades appears on page 2A.

Leavenworth County Juvenile Court

A 14-year-old Leavenworth boy has been detained in connection with the Aug. 5 drowning of a Lansing man.

The boy was taken into custody last Wednesday morning at a home in the 600 block of Miami in Leavenworth, according to police Lt. Pat Kitchens. The youth was detained on charges of involuntary manslaughter, battery and theft. A pre-trial hearing is set for next Tuesday in the case, according to a representative of the Leavenworth County attorney's office.

The boy, who is being held at the Leavenworth County Juvenile Detention Center, is accused in the death of Joseph Nolan, 31, who drowned in the Missouri River. Police say the two were involved in an altercation before Nolan's death. The two did not know one another before the incident, Kitchens said.

Nolan's body was discovered two days after he drowned, in Kansas City, Kan., at the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri rivers.

Police initially believed Nolan's drowning had been a suicide, but officers received information that prompted them to change the focus of their investigation.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.