Chamber hopes to attract volunteers for annual fest
The Tonganoxie Chamber of Commerce is looking for a few volunteers.
The chamber has set a meeting for noon Oct. 3 at City Council Chambers, 321 Delaware, to discuss the future of Tonganoxie Days, an annual festival held in June.
For many years, Connie Torneden has organized the festival on behalf of the chamber of commerce. But participation among other chamber members has been slight, according to Bill Grant, the chamber's secretary-treasurer.
"We've decided to have a meeting to see if we can get an influx of new people to help," Grant said. "Connie is still at the lead, and we're glad about that. And we're glad she's persevered as long as she has. She has carried this thing for years."
Grant said the chamber hopes to build on the past success of Tonganoxie Days, which will be in its 18th year next June.
"We're looking for new ideas and new people," Grant said.
On Oct. 2, the chamber also has planned a lunch meeting and optional tour of the new Cabela's store near the Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kan. For more information or to make a reservation, call the chamber office, 845-9244, or call Grant at First State Bank and Trust, 845-2500, by Friday.
More like this story
- Chieftains nab 1st victory in overtime fashion, place 4th at home invite
- Tonganoxie High seniors shine in boys basketball regular-season finale
- Few original Brownback cabinet secretaries remain
- K-State marching band apologizes for shot at Jayhawks
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center