Volleyball team absorbs first loss
After flying high in its volleyball season opener two weeks ago, Tonganoxie landed hard Sept. 17.
The Chieftains fell to Paola last week, 15-8, 15-5, on the Panthers' home court. The loss was Tonganoxie's first on the young season.
"It was a very frustrating match," THS coach Tiffany Parker said. "The only satisfaction is coming away knowing you didn't play well."
Tonganoxie had opened the season Sept. 12 with a home quadrangular. The Chieftains breezed by Bonner Springs and Atchison before beating Baldwin for a 3-0 record. But against Paola, the Chieftains didn't have the same fire, losing in two games.
"They played with more confidence than we did," Parker said.
THS did salvage their other match, defeating De Soto, 15-7, 15-8. Now at 4-1, the Chieftains will enter their home tournament Saturday.
The invitational features 12 teams and includes 6A teams Manhattan and Olathe East, along with 5A Gardner-Edgerton. The tournament kicks off at 8 a.m. Saturday.
"There will be a lot of action," Parker said.
Tonganoxie also played in a triangular Tuesday at Perry-Lecompton. Results from those matches can be seen in next week's edition of The Mirror.
More like this story
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- KSU researchers develop heat-tolerant wheat
- Kansas Senate panel considering bill to ban abortion method
- K-State's response to open records request shows difficulty