Tae kwon do members nab five medals at state
Tonganoxie had plenty of representation at the Sunflower State Games on July 26-27 on the Washburn University campus in Topeka.
Along with Colten Weaver's third straight state title, Jessica Carlson, Bonner Springs, and Jake Owens, Tonganoxie, won gold medals.
"She's pretty impressive," master Rex Hutton said of Carlson.
An 11-year-old brown belt, Jessica has fought in open and tae kwon do competitions against both boys and girls.
Jake, meanwhile is 8 and is a blue belt.
"He's a kid who really surprised me," Hutton said.
Brown belt Jess Breshears, 13, took second in his division and Bobbi Heeter, 10, a yellow belt, took bronze. Both students are from Tonganoxie.
"Man they get together and they're just a team," Hutton said. "It gives you a lot of pride when they're all together and they do so well. The last three years, this group I've had, they surprise you."
Students from the Tonganoxie Martial Arts Academy can be seen during the Leavenworth County Fair Parade, which starts at 6:30 p.m. today in downtown Tonganoxie.
More like this story
- Demolition of Docking building not expected until 2016
- New Kansas Statehouse power plant more costly than expected
- Lansing approves Leavenworth County Humane Society permit for future building
- Collapsing buildings become health concern in Kansas
- Kansas closer to allowing concealed carry with no permit