Our View: Tonganoxie will miss Lt. Mark Williams
Last weekend, Tonganoxie's finest lost one of their own.
Lt. Mark Williams, Tonganoxie's acting police chief, apparently suffered a heart attack at his home and died.
The lieutenant, who was only 44, had taken over the department on a temporary basis earlier this year, when Chief Kenny Carpenter was called to active military duty.
Mark Williams, according to friends and fellow officers, was good guy. He cared about the department, its officers and the city of Tonganoxie.
And he will be missed by all who knew him and had the pleasure to work with him. Members of the Tonganoxie police and fire departments, along with firefighters and officers from many other law enforcement agencies throughout the area paid tribute to Williams on Tuesday afternoon. It was a wonderful gesture.
And while the city of Tonganoxie's police department will continue to provide protection and service to the citizens of the city, the passing of Mark Williams will create a void that will not easily be filled.
The city of Tonganoxie will miss him.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High baseball players, alums help area team win state USSSA baseball tournament
- Linenberger: Wrestling, powerlifting offer winter options
- New THS activities director taking over in Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie's Parker stepping down after 16 years as THS volleyball coach
- Back to the pitch for Tonganoxie soccer