Bearcat girls furious rally ruins Valentine’s Day for MHS team
McLouth's Valentine's Day game against Burlingame Friday began smelling like red roses, but the finish was more like a box of bad chocolates.
McLouth had a 17-point lead midway through the first half, but senior standout Courtney Edmonds injured her hip before the half and the game eventually went in the Bearcats' favor after that. The Bulldogs led 16-4 after the first quarter and 29-14 at the half, but a dismal fourth quarter ruined McLouth's night.
Despite a 40-23 heading into the fourth, Burlingame erupted in the final quarter, outscoring McLouth 23-5 for the victory.
Edmonds still finished as the top scorer with 15, while Emily Nitzsche had 11, Leigh Anna Thompson 10 and Emma Prochaska 9 in the losing cause.
The loss dropped McLouth to 6-11 overall and 3-3 in the Delaware Valley League. MHS will be on the road until Senior Night on Feb. 28 when they play Jackson Heights in the regular season finale.
Burlingame 46, McLouth 45
Burlingame 4 10 9 23 -- 46
McLouth 16 13 11 5 -- 45
McLouth (6-11) -- Courtney Edmonds 15, Emily Nitzsche 11, Leigh Anna Thompson 10, Emma Prochaska 9.
More like this story
- McLouth baseball sweeps Nebraska team in opening doubleheader
- Chietain wrestlers snag wins, build for future in at Salina
- Piper High snaps Chieftain girls' winning streak
- Rookies and veterans: Tonganoxie Chieftains sending four freshmen, two seniors to state
- Tonganoxie High School girls team heads into sub-state with victory