Voters head to polls on Tuesday
Primary to narrow field for April 1 general election
On Tuesday, voters will head to the polls to narrow the field of candidates in several local races.
Voting sites are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday.
¢ Don't forget the Candidates Coffee from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the former Ratliff Drug store, Fourth and Bury.
The primary election will narrow the fields of:
- Three candidates for mayor to two candidates.
- Seven candidates for city council to four candidates.
- Three candidates for school board position No. 1 to two candidates.
The general election will be held April 1.
On pages 10A, 11A and 12A of today's edition of The Mirror, are primary election candidates' responses to questions asked by the newspaper.
And from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Saturday, The Mirror and First State Bank and Trust will host a Candidates Coffee at the former Ratliff Drug Store, Fourth and Bury, Tonganoxie. Candidates who have opposition in Tuesday's primary election have been invited to the coffee. More information about the event appears on page 3A of today's edition of The Mirror.
According to Linda Scheer, Leavenworth County clerk, advance voting for the primary election has been slow.
As of 11 a.m. Tuesday, 23 people had voted in her office at the courthouse in Leavenworth, and her office had mailed out 147 advance voting ballots.
"I would have thought there would have been more," she said.
Friday is the last day to request the clerk's office to mail an advance ballot.
And the deadline to vote at the clerk's office is noon Tuesday.
To receive an application, call the clerk's office, toll-free at (800) 250-2057.
Results of the primary election will be available Tuesday night on The Mirror's Web site as soon as they are available from the clerk's office.
Results will be updated, until the race outcomes are final.
The Mirror's Web site is at www.tonganoxiemirror.com.
In next Wednesday's edition of The Mirror, complete coverage of the primary election will appear.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie youths gearing up for 'Midsummer Night's Dream' productions Friday and Saturday
- Tonganoxie High to stage 'Twelve Angry Jurors' for final night tonight
- Audience wide awake for Tonganoxie High's 'Drowsy Chaperone'
- Renovations at Kansas Aviation Museum nearly complete
- University of Saint Mary to present 'Babes in Toyland'