Obituaries: Richard M. Bowman
Services for Richard Milton Bowman Jr., 83, Kansas City, Mo., were Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2003, at First Baptist Church of Shawnee. Burial was in Leavenworth National Cemetery.
Mr. Bowman died Friday, Jan. 17, 2003, at North Kansas City Hospital. He was born Oct. 31, 1919, in Tonganoxie, the son of Richard and Priscilla Bowman.
He served in the U.S. Army for 20 years and retired as a first lieutenant. He served overseas during World War II and the Korean Conflict. He had lived in Kansas City since 1961 and previously lived in various military installations across the country. Following his military career Mr. Bowman worked as a letter carrier for the U.S. Postal Service and retired after 20 years of service. For the past 20 years he was employed as a funeral director for the McGilley Memorial Chapels where he was working until the time of his death. He was a member of the First Baptist Church of Shawnee.
Survivors include his wife, Ruth, of the home; two sons, Richard Milton "Rick" Bowman III, Chicago, and Rodger Bowman, Kansas City North, Mo.; a sister, Dorothy Gosney, Olympia, Wash.; and five grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to the church or to De Soto Youth Ministries, De Soto.
McGilley Antioch Chapel, 3325 NE Vivion Rd., Kansas City, Mo. 64119, handled arrangements.
More like this story
- Motorcycle-vehicle wreck near Tonganoxie sends 2 to KU Hospital
- Baldwin City resident killed, another injured in motorcycle wreck in southern Leavenworth County
- Tonganoxie part of investigation in shooting death of KCK officer
- 3 suspects in custody after high-speed police chase ends in Lawrence
- Tonganoxie checkpoint turns into high-speed chase