Concert set Tuesday
If you're looking for a way to jump-start the Fourth of July holiday, check out the Tonganoxie Community Band's second annual concert and ice cream social.
Festivities, including games for children, will get under way at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, followed by the band concert at 7 p.m. -- all at Tonganoxie's VFW Park.
"We're gong to have an Uncle Sam look-alike contest," said Carolyn Day of the VIP Booster Club, which supports the music departments at Tonganoxie high and junior high schools. "We're going to have a cake walk, a fish pond and face painting, and some other games. And we'll be serving ice cream again this year -- and water."
Proceeds will be used to benefit the music departments.
This year's concert will follow a patriotic theme, although the band will play other types of music, according to director Charles VanMiddlesworth II, better known as Mr. Van.
"There will be more patriotic music this year," he said. "It's going to be really exciting."
The 50 members of the band have been practicing Tuesday nights during June.
"Last year, we had 25 or 26 people in the band, so we've doubled the band," VanMiddlesworth said.
Concert-goers are encouraged to bring lawn chairs.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High boys soccer ties KC Christian on Senior Night, finishes regular season unbeaten
- Tonganoxie High soccer opens 4-1A regionals as No. 4 seed
- 2017 Tonganoxie High boys soccer season results
- Monster 2nd quarter key in 45-7 Tonganoxie High victory; THS still undefeated heading into Week 9
- Tonganoxie High boys soccer opens regionals as No. 1 seed