Delaware League teams bound for tournament in Manhattan
Delaware Valley League fans will have two Class 2A teams to watch at state this week.
The Jackson Heights boys team and the Horton girls squad will head to Manhattan's Bramlage Coliseum.
Both of the teams are making return trips to state after Saturday's substate victories.
Jackson Heights took down Troy, 75-49, and Horton defeated Maranatha Academy, 51-32.
In the boys bracket, Jackson Heights (22-1) will square off against Garden Plain (17-6) at 3 p.m. today. In other games, Olpe (21-2) takes on Sublette (19-4), Pittsburg-Colgan (21-2) meets Ellis (17-6) and Salina-Sacred Heart (21-2) plays Inman (18-5).
On Thursday, Horton and Moundridge will play in the late game at 8:15 p.m.
Earlier games include St. John (22-1) taking on Syracuse (17-6), Osborne ( 21-2) playing Uniontown (19-4) and Wakeeney (17-7) tackling undefeated Olpe (23-0).
If Jackson Heights wins tonight, the Cobras would play in the state semifinals at either 4:45 p.m. or 8:15 p.m. Friday.
A win there would take them to the finals at 6:15 p.m. Saturday, while a loss would put JHHS in the consolation game at 2 p.m. Saturday.
A Horton victory Thursday would put the girls team in the semifinals at either 3 p.m. or 6:30 p.m.
If the Chargers advance to the finals, the game will be played at 4 p.m. Saturday, while a loss would put them in the consolation game, which is scheduled to start about noon Saturday.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie boys win another nail-biter, have won 3 of last 4
- Monday morning sports roundup: THS wrestlers second at Baldwin; basketball splits games; MHS does well at home invite
- Tonganoxie High boys level Bishop Ward
- Tonganoxie basketball teams sweep Heritage Christian
- Tonganoxie High boys can't overcome early deficit in regular-season finale; Piper next in substate Friday