Driver to be cited for leaving accident
Leavenworth County sheriff's officers plan to cite the driver in an accident that resulted in the death of a 22-year-old Basehor man.
After conferring with the Leavenworth County attorney, Major Dave Zoellner, undersheriff, said, officers planned to write two tickets: one for driving with a suspended license and the other for leaving the scene of an injury accident. Both offenses are misdemeanors.
Zoellner said that after conferring with Frank Kohl, the county attorney, the decision was made not to release the name of the driver, who officers say fled the accident scene on the evening of Oct. 8.
"Based on the investigation, we feel confident we know who the driver is," he said.
In the accident, Kevin Criswell Swope was critically injured when his car collided with a pickup truck at the intersection of Kansas Highway 32 and 166th Street. Swope died later at the University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kan.
In the four weeks since the accident, investigators have sought the driver of the pickup truck.
More like this story
- Topeka woman killed when bicycle hit by truck
- U.S. Senate to discuss funding food stamps program with grants
- Clean sweep again for Tonganoxie High cross country
- Footloose Chieftains: Tonganoxie cross country qualifies both teams for state for 1st time in a decade
- Tonganoxie Chieftain cross country teams take first, second at Perry-Lecompton meet