Couple ready to show off B&B
This weekend, the community is invited to join Anna and Darlyn Hansen in celebrating the grand opening of their bed and breakfast, Amanna elan.
The Hansens, who purchased the former Almeda Hotel at an auction in April 2002, have renovated the century-old building. Their project included extensive remodeling of the historic dining room. This room in particular resembles early-day photographs of the well known Myers Hotel, as it was called in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
The weekend's free events include on Saturday horse and buggy rides, and a 1 p.m. speech by oral historian Jim Two Crows Wallen. Sunday plans include chapel services at 10 a.m., a 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. vintage car show, and live music from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Activities that require a fee are hotels tours, and a Saturday evening Hollywood celebrity homecoming dance. Costume judging will be at 7:30 p.m. Darlyn Hansen said he and Anna decided, because that is the night of the high school's homecoming dance, it would be fitting to hold a dance of their own at the same time.
Also on the weekend's agenda is the grand opening of the Amanna elan's new shop, Tonganoxie Trading Post and Antiques, and concessions in the food court. The antique shop is in a cottage behind the bed and breakfast.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High athlete signs to compete in track at Tabor for former THS coach
- THS football standout Trimble signs with Fort Scott Community College
- Kansas governor talks tax policy with Missouri lawmakers
- Kansas school district officials announce layoffs, pay cuts
- Kansas City Connection: The art of ‘Rising Up,’ and visiting some old haunts