Our view: THS team winner in community ‘s eyes
It was heartbreaking.
But the Tonganoxie High School football team's first loss of the season should not cast a shadow on all the Chieftains have accomplished during the 2003 season. Until last Friday night's game against Piper -- on Senior Night -- the team had been ahead of its opponents at the final whistle. But this time, the Chieftains found themselves four points short of a win.
Although the team won't log an undefeated season -- as many in Tonganoxie had discussed -- the players, led by Mark Elston and his assistant coaches, have provided a spark for our community. And there's no reason to think the spark won't continue.
Elston is the type of coach who will tell his players to pick themselves up, dust themselves off and go out this Friday against Basehor-Linwood and give it their all -- just as they've done all season.
The Chieftain football players and coaches deserve our applause and our gratitude for their dedication, their hard work and their interest in doing a job well.
They've made us proud.
More like this story
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Kansas' broad marijuana bill attracts bulk of GOP votes
- Kansas governor signs nation's 1st ban on abortion procedure
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation