McLouth boys capture Class 2A regionals
With a second-place finish by senior Matt Scarlett, McLouth won its Class 2A cross country regional Saturday at Lakeview Country Club in Horton.
Scarlett finished in 17 minutes, 54 seconds. The senior was 12 seconds behind Jefferson County North senior Robert Page.
Junior Scott Smelser was McLouth's No. 2 runner. Smelser placed 11th with a time of 18:38. In 19th was freshman Sam Anderson, who finished with a 19:20 time. Sophomore Nick Edgell took 21st (19:21) and Junior Justin Drinnon placed 24th (19:32). Freshman Lance Lamborn placed 67th (21:37) freshman Spencer Lamborn took 75th (23:02)
The Bulldogs finished just ahead of Jefferson County North, which scored 56 points Saturday. Valley Heights placed third (65) and Clifton-Clyde took fourth (95).
The boys will run at 10:30 a.m. Saturday in Wamego at the state cross country championships.
Girls cross country
McLouth settled for fourth in the girls race. Junior Erin Watson placed sixth with a time of 13:14, while sister Hallie Watson placed 12th. Although the Bulldogs won't send a team to state, the sisters will compete as individual runners at 11:30 a.m. Saturday in Wamego.
Other Bulldog runners who placed at regionals but did not advance to state were: Christy Gunther (25th, 14:12), Katie Booth (44th, 14:57), Neva Gardner (46th, 15:31) Crystal Snyder (87th, 17:19) and Elizabeth Turner (91st, 17:41).
1. McLouth, 50; 2. Jefferson County North, 56; 3. Valley Heights, 65; 4. Clifton-Clyde, 95; 5. St. Marys, 113; 6. Jackson Heights, 149; 7. Lawrence-Bishop Seabury, 171; 8. Washington, 199; 9. Wakefield, 216. Wakefield, Centralia, Midway-Denton, Highland, Horton, St. Xavier, Centre, Onaga, Troy, Valley Falls, Wathena and White City did not field full teams.
1. Jackson Heights, 60; 2. Horton, 89; 3. Highland, 95; 4. McLouth, 119; 5. Washington, 130; 6. Wakefield, 151; 7. Clifton-Clyde, 172; 8. Onaga, 214; 9. Jefferson County North, 216; 10. Troy, 225; 11. Hanover, 239; 12. Valley Heights, 257. Centralia, Midway-Denton, St. Xavier, Lawrence-Bishop Seabury, Immaculata, Centre, St. Marys, Valley Falls, Wathena and Wetmore did not field full teams.
More like this story
- Stolen goods from Joyland park found with Louie the Clown
- Tonganoxie St. Pat's Parade organizers working to bulk up annual spring event
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Push on to make catfish a Kansas state symbol
- Annual St. Patrick's Parade set for March 14