Howard hauls in first varsity TD
It's taken four years, but Shane Howard notched his first varsity touchdown Friday against De Soto.
Actually, the senior only has had three games in which to accomplish the feat.
A basketball player and track member the last three years, Howard played football as a freshman, but opted not to join the team as a sophomore or junior.
Against the Wildcats, however, Howard hauled in a scoring catch.
With the Chieftains leading 22-6 in the second quarter, senior quarterback Justin Walker found Howard with nothing but green grass ahead of him.
Howard ran in the 55-yard receiving touchdown and helped pad Tonganoxie's lead.
"It was exciting," Howard said. "I'm just glad we won."
Tonganoxie finished the game with 80 passing yards on just three passes.
Along with Howard's touchdown catch, Dustan Sprowls scored on a 12-yard touchdown pass.
Sam Mitchell had the other grab, a 13-yard reception.
Walker was 3-for-6 on the night with no interceptions.
More like this story
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Kansas AG obtains order to protect funding for state courts
- Leavenworth County Fair going strong after 90 years
- Mayor's vote helps pass Tonganoxie charter ordinance
- Tonganoxie St. Pat's Parade organizers working to bulk up annual spring event