Jaguar student’s death postpones Monday soccer contest at THS
Another Tonganoxie game has been cancelled.
But instead of a soggy soccer field, the Chieftains didn't play because of a tragic death.
Scheduled to play Monday against Mill Valley, THS coach Luke Denney learned between noon and 1 p.m. Monday that the game would be postponed because a Mill Valley student had committed suicide.
"It's a bad ordeal," Denney said Monday evening.
No make-up date has been set for the game.
A Mill Valley school official said Tuesday that she was unsure whether any of the school's future sporting events would be cancelled.
The death comes a month after a Mill Valley football player sustained a neck injury in practice that has left him motionless from the shoulders down.
Junior Michael Kowal has been confined to a hospital bed since he was involved in a freak player-to-player collision on Aug. 19.
As for Tonganoxie, the Chieftains will resume play at 4:30 p.m. Thursday in Bonner Springs. The varsity will play the early game, while junior varsity will play at 6 p.m.
Last Thursday's game against Piper, which was postponed because of a wet soccer field, has been rescheduled for Oct. 8 in Tonganoxie.
More like this story
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Kansas Legislature mulls slashing green energy incentives
- Kansas governor signs bill clarifying new property tax law
- Kansas cropland values down this year amid low grain prices
- First land bank lots from Fort Riley overbuilding to be sold