Pharmacy delays plans to move to highway
Plans to move Holst Pharmacy to a site on U.S. Highway 24-40 have been abandoned, at least for the time being.
Gary Holst, who has owned the downtown Tonganoxie drug store since 1990, said the land where he'd planned to construct a new pharmacy building is now for sale. The property is between Sonic and Dollar General.
"We did some remodeling downtown, and I think we're kind of happy there," Holst said of the property that the pharmacy leases in the 500 block of East Fourth. "We'd like to help keep the downtown alive. We've tried to make some changes down there. That's where we'd like to stay for now."
However, Holst said his long-term plans for the business include moving to the highway. In late 1999, Holst filed a site plan with the city for a new building east of Sonic. But the project never got out of the ground.
Now, Holst hopes to sell the land to someone who might build a pharmacy and lease it back to Holst -- or sell it for another use.
"There's some other developable land out there a little bit farther east that we could go to," he said. "I think it's great the growth that Tonganoxie is experiencing. There are a lot of new housing starts, and we very much want to be a part of that."
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High football season opens Friday at Spring Hill; 2 games to be on TV
- State champions crowned across state
- Tonganoxie High boys soccer ties KC Christian on Senior Night, finishes regular season unbeaten
- Tonganoxie High wrestlers nab 2nd at Wamego Invitational
- Atchison thwarts Tonganoxie High volleyball push for another state berth