Winning streak continues for Tonganoxie debaters
Tonganoxie debaters swept up more wins at this year's state tournament.
Bringing home a first-place trophy for four-speaker debate were seniors Heather Young, Tim Leffert, Heather Harrison and Katelyn Kelly.
And three two-speaker teams each placed fourth at state, said Tonganoxie debate coach Steve Harrell. These teams consist of Linsey High and Jason Smith, Levi Huseman and Jeff Gravatt, and Ben Jefferies and Garrett Kelly.
One other team -- Erin Holton and Jake Williams -- came in at 12th place in two-speaker debate.
The state tournament, held Jan. 23-24 in Salina, wrapped up the regular season. However, earlier in the season, two teams, consisting of Katelyn Kelly and Heather Harrison, and Linsey High and Jason Smith, qualified for nationals, which will be Memorial Day weekend in Boston.
Tonganoxie's name at state debate tournaments must seem formidable to other schools.
This is the fourth consecutive year that THS has one first place in four-speaker debate, Harrell said.
And, in the last seven years, THS has had at least one championship each year in either the four-speaker or the two-speaker teams.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High graduate finalist for K-State entrepreneuership contest
- Applications avaialable for 2017-18 Southern Leavenworth County Leadership Development class
- Tonganoxie Sesquicentennial organizers seek volunteers; meeting set for Tuesday
- Chief scholarship for Tonganoxie High graduate
- Goddard high school wins ecology award