THS thespians spoof U.S. History
The cast of eight promises to pack a punch.
This Thursday and Saturday, Tonganoxie High School will perform a Vaudeville-type show, "The Complete History of America -- Abridged."
"The players will take the audience through 500-plus years of American history, dating back to the very first explorers and taking us to the present," said Steve Harrell, director.
But not all's meant to be taken seriously, he said.
"Along the way, they provide comic skits and sketches that are loosely based on historical events," Harrell said.
Cast members are Joel Nido, Brandon Stevens, Jake Williams, Shadoe Barton, Lona Dickinson, Tabby Flaherty, Liz Higbee and Garrett Kelly.
Some of the people, events and concepts covered in the play's first act include Amerigo Vespucci, Native American beliefs of history, Revolu-tionary War, George Washington, the Minutemen, Besty Ross, the Louis and Clark expedition, the Civil War, and Lincoln's assassination, Harrell said.
The second act covers the world wars, the golden age of radio and wraps up the last 50 years with a film noir ending.
The play was written by Adam Long, Reed Martin and Austin Tichenor. Harrell said he was interested in the play, having seen it performed years ago by the playwrights at Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie forensics team wins overall titles in frist weekend of competition
- Tonganoxie High debate squad takes second place at St. James Academy
- Kansas City Connection: It’s showtime for theater festivals
- KU's Rim Rock Farm meet this weekend for Tonganoxie High cross country
- Tonganoxie High debate team heading to four meets this weekend