McLouth struggles with MIT
Home wasn't so sweet for McLouth. Playing in their own McLouth Invitational Tournament last week, the Bulldogs dropped all three games in the tournament. After losing to Perry-Lecompton, 58-54, in the quarterfinals, MHS dropped a losers bracket contest to arch-rival Oskaloosa, 60-51. And on Saturday Topeka-Cair Paravel kept MHS winless in the tournament with a 68-52 victory.
The Bulldogs dropped to 4-7 on the year after Saturday.
Against Perry-Lecompton, the Bulldogs had a 24-16 halftime lead, but couldn't hold on in the second half. Isaac Gardner was top scorer for the Bulldogs with a team-high 24. Pat Bartlett also was in double figures with 12.
OHS held a narrow 30-28 halftime lead, but the Bears outscored MHS in the third and fourth quarters on their way to a victory. Gardner again led the team in scoring with 18, while Casey Hochard, Chris Mills and Travis Steffey each scored eight.
For the first time in the tournament, MHS opened with a slow start. Against Cair Paravel, the Bulldogs fell behind, 19-5, in the first quarter, but responded in the second quarter and trailed by five, 25-20. Cair Paravel, however, unloaded with 23 points in the third and 20 in the fourth for the victory.
Bartlett led the team with 12, while Mills scored 11 and Hochard tallied 10. Steffey scored seven and Gardner was limited to five.
More like this story
- Basehor-Linwood escapes Tonganoxie with 5-set victory; THS 7th at Rossville
- SALINA SEQUEL: Tonganoxie volleyball handles BLHS, clinches second straight state appearance
- Tonganoxie volleyball falls in heartbreaker to Eudora
- Tonganoxie High volleyball battles to end at state tournament
- Tonganoxie High volleyball battles through for 4-set victory against Eudora in rematch of 2015 substate