Hospital encourages fitness during upcoming Olympics
Lawrence Memorial Hospital is launching Go for the Gold, a three-week fitness event for all ages and fitness levels during the month of August.
The event promotes better health through physical activity and smart eating with a Summer Olympics theme.
Go for the Gold challenges participants to complete a relay event in three weeks.
The relay event coincides with the Olympic Torch Relay route.
During the three weeks, participants walk, run, cycle or swim to reach their final total of 15 to 30 hours of exercise -- the equivalent of 120,000 to 240,000 steps -- depending on whether they elect to take the beginner, intermediate or advanced track.
Participants track their success with a digital pedometer and a relay log key.
Go for the Gold is LMH's follow-up event to 10K a Day, the national initiative endorsed by the American Heart Association that challenges participants to walk 10,000 steps a day.
Like the 10K a Day program, Go for the Gold focuses on increasing physical activity as a way to better health.
The $15 fee to join the program covers fitness handouts to follow during the relay, healthy recipes for smart eating, the pedometer, a water bottle and two daily health tips.
Orientation sessions will be held before the program starts that will inform participants about topics such as starting and continuing an exercise program, exercising safely during the summer, using a pedometer, and perceived exertion rating.
Orientation sessions will be from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 6; from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Aug. 7; and from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Aug. 9. Participants can enroll by calling ConnectCare, (785) 749-5800.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie City Council agenda for April 6, 2015
- Tonganoxie USD 464 special meeting tonight for superintendent search, teacher contract
- Resident asks to consider educational opportunities for former Tonganoxie Elementary School
- Tonganoxie City Council to have special meeting Thursday, regular meeting Monday
- Tonganoxie City Council revokes interlocal agreement following AG opinion; work session, liquor license approved; brush dump site discussed