Tonganoxie community band warming up for annual concert
Local residents can get a jump start on Fourth of July weekend with hamburgers, hot dogs and music June 29 at VFW park.
Under the direction of Tonganoxie High band director Charles VanMiddlesworth, the Tonganoxie Community Band will have its third annual summer concert at 7 p.m. that night.
"We've got about 30 people and that number keeps going up every week," Van Middlesworth said. "It's definitely been pretty exciting."
Cooking of hamburgers and hot dogs will begin at 6 p.m. and soda and water also will be served. Proceeds from the concessions will go toward the THS music department.
Van Middlesworth said this year's music selections are more demanding than the previous two years.
"We're actually playing more difficult music than we've been playing in the past, but it's fun and it's stuff people can do," Van Middlesworth said.
The concert list again will feature patriotic music, but this year's performance will include some cartoon and movie tunes, among other styles.
"The music is really great this year," Van Middlesworth said. "I'm really excited about it."
Musicians still can join the community band. The final practice before the concert is at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the THS music room.
More like this story
- Shooting at Overland Park duplex kills woman, wounds girl
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Creating a family: Agency seeks more foster families; greatest need in Wyandotte County
- Police: Woman arrested in battery of police horse in Wichita
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary