City awarded grant to repair sewer line
The Kansas Department of Commerce has awarded the city of Tonganoxie a $99,500 grant to repair a sewer line over a local creek.
The aerial line, over Tonganoxie Creek near Chieftain Park, broke in March, pumping untreated sewage into the creek and forcing the city to issue an advisory for people and pets to stay away from the creek.
The state is funding a repair project through the commerce department's Urgent Need program that is funded through the Small Cities Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program.
The city will use the funds to construct a low-water crossing structure that will cross the creek at ground level without impeding water flow. That low-water crossing will be similar to one that crosses the creek just north of the Tonganoxie fire station on Fourth Street.
More like this story
- Kansas' criminal forfeiture law, among nation's toughest, faces bipartisan effort to change
- Kansas Supreme Court upholds ex-lawman's murder conviction
- Kansas doctor, wife face new sentencing in overdose deaths
- Suit filed by ex-Kansas attorney general lands in Oklahoma
- Man accused of Jewish site shootings to appear in court