Convenience store fire ruled arson
Investigation into the cause of an Easton fire Feb. 29 is ongoing, but the fire has been ruled as arson, Leavenworth County Major Dave Zoellner said Monday.
The blaze claimed the Hilltop Market, 21315 Easton Road, a convenience store/deli near Kansas Highway 192.
Owners Danny D. Brown and Carl J. Kretzer, both of Easton, were remodeling the structure when the fire occurred.
"It was under remodeling, but it was past the halfway point," Zoellner said.
Easton, Kickapoo and Alexandria townships responded to the scene, but the building was a total loss.
More like this story
- After 149 years, Kansas lawmakers still grappling with 14th Amendment
- Kansas House vote shows weak support for constitutional amendment on judicial selection
- Analysis: Kansas abortion ruling could have sweeping effects
- Court ruling on air standards may save Westar millions
- For fourth straight year, school advocates march to Topeka, but stakes are higher than ever