It’s tax time
Deadline for property tax payments arrives six weeks early
The second half of real estate tax payments is due earlier than usual this year.
"The tax payments for the second half of the year were due on June 20, but the governor changed that date to May 10 because of the state's shortfall in their budget," said Janice Young, Leavenworth County treasurer. So payments will be due on Monday.
The early payment, Young said, will give the state three, rather than two, large distributions in one fiscal year. The state's fiscal year runs July 1 to June 30.
Meanwhile, the Leavenworth County treasurer's office has worked to notify taxpayers of the change in property tax payments.
"We gave them stickers to put on their calendars and all kinds of stuff," Young said. "... We've done everything we could to alert them."
More like this story
- 3 suspects in custody after high-speed police chase ends in Lawrence
- Kansas' criminal forfeiture law, among nation's toughest, faces bipartisan effort to change
- Kansas man driving combine leads law enforcement on chase
- Lawmakers to again consider policy on police body cameras
- Police make 2nd arrest in robberies near K-State campus