It’s tax time
Deadline for property tax payments arrives six weeks early
The second half of real estate tax payments is due earlier than usual this year.
"The tax payments for the second half of the year were due on June 20, but the governor changed that date to May 10 because of the state's shortfall in their budget," said Janice Young, Leavenworth County treasurer. So payments will be due on Monday.
The early payment, Young said, will give the state three, rather than two, large distributions in one fiscal year. The state's fiscal year runs July 1 to June 30.
Meanwhile, the Leavenworth County treasurer's office has worked to notify taxpayers of the change in property tax payments.
"We gave them stickers to put on their calendars and all kinds of stuff," Young said. "... We've done everything we could to alert them."
More like this story
- Stolen goods from Joyland park found with Louie the Clown
- Tonganoxie youth remembered for 'lighting up a room'
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Police: 2 men arrested for pretending to be crash victims
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck