Fire chief urges pre-winter checkups
Vehicles aren't the only possessions that need extra attention as we head into winter.
Homes also require some precautionary check-ups.
Tonganoxie Fire Chief Dave Bennett is urging homeowners to have a certified chimney sweep evaluate their chimneys.
"If they haven't done it in the last year, they really need to do it," Bennett said.
An unclean chimney can lead to serious problems.
Creosote, or wood sap, can build up in the chimney. If embers make contact with the creosote, it can catch on fire.
"It can burn through some chimneys," Bennett said. "It can lead to some very dangerous situation."
For more on how to winterize your home to decrease the chance of fire, see the Nov. 24 edition of The Mirror.
More like this story
- Kansas committee review bill to boost tobacco, alcohol taxes
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Tonganoxie High wrestlers competing on Day 2 of state tournament
- Tonganoxie High softball looks to improve in 2015