Lansing home destroyed in Thursday night fire
A rural Lansing man whose garage caught fire Thursday night said his home and everything in it was "a total loss."
Jay Carter, a Lansing chiropractor, was notified about the fire in a phone call on his way home from a meeting in Kansas City. The caller was a friend who had heard a house on Carter's street had caught fire.
Carter arrived at a roadblock set up after firefighters had begun fighting the fire. Police at the roadblock verified that it was Carter's home at 25076 Wolcott Road, just southeast of Lansing, where Leavenworth County District 1 firefighters were fighting the blaze.
Fire Chief Rick Huhn said he suspected the fire began in a breaker box in a metal garage. It spread to the house, destroying the sunroom, living room and most of the kitchen. Huhn said the front of the house and the garage were totally engulfed in fire when he arrived.
Huhn, who said the fire was reported by a neighbor about 8 p.m., estimated damage to the house and garage at $200,000.
Considering the fire, smoke and water damage, Carter said Friday, the house was destroyed.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie USD 464 ballot deadline is June 30
- Leavenworth, Douglas county officials battle grass fires; Tonganoxie chief offers prevention tips
- Kansas schools, colleges, hospitals would feel sting of cuts
- Tonganoxie voters to use paper ballots Tuesday
- Hill touts career experiences in Leavenworth County Commission race