Blaze damages house
A rural Lansing man whose garage caught fire Thursday night said his home and everything in it was "a total loss."
Jay Carter, a Lansing chiropractor, was notified about the fire in a phone call on his way home from a meeting in Kansas City.
Leavenworth County Fire District 1 Fire Chief Rick Huhn said he suspected the fire began in a breaker box in a metal garage at the home, 25076 Wolcott Road, southeast of Lansing. It spread to the house, destroying the sunroom, living room and most of the kitchen. Huhn said the front of the house and the garage were totally engulfed in fire when he arrived.
Huhn, who said the fire was reported by a neighbor about 8 p.m., estimated damage to the house and garage at $200,000.
More like this story
- McLouth baseball sweeps Nebraska team in opening doubleheader
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures
- True aim: Bonner Springs couple founds archery club
- Confirmed mountain lion sightings rise in Missouri, Kansas
- Kansas City Connection: Grinders Pizza and Celebration at the Station