House fire breaks out north of Tonganoxie
Firefighters from across Leavenworth County on Thursday morning battled a house fire at 22501 Todd Road, north of Tonganoxie.
The cause of the fire currently is unknown, but the blaze started in an area used as a living room. The fire spread throughout that one-story portion of the home and on into the main portion of the house, which is two stories.
The home is owned by Samuel Todd. He was not at the home at the time. However, his sister and mother were. They were not injured.
Sheriff's Deputy Gary Huss was the first to arrive on the scene about 9:45 a.m.
He said he saw flames in the living room.
"It was a relatively small fire, too large for a fire extinguisher," Huss said. "And then it started to get larger and progress."
In addition to the sheriff's department, firefighters from Tonganoxie Township, Tonganoxie city, Alexandria Township, Fairmount Township, Stranger Township, Sherman Township and Reno Township battled the blaze, which sent black smoke billowing from the home.
The home was a total loss.
Look in Wednesday's edition of The Mirror for additional details about this fire.
More like this story
- Linwood man sentenced to nearly a decade in prison for attempted rape, attempted aggravated criminal sodomy
- Linwood woman sentenced to more than 9 years in prison in DUI-manslaughter case
- Leavenworth man sentenced for battery, robbery
- Tonganoxie man in court on suspicion of child endangerment, alcohol charges
- Garden City woman pleads not guilty in marijuana case