Aunt Norie’s sewing room
We in these United States are about to vote in record numbers and that is as it should be.
It is such a great privilege. Perhaps you have at one time or another thought your one little vote just wasn't that important.
I have here an old column of who else but our old friend Ann Landers that I'm sure you will appreciate.
Dee, in Culver City, Calif., had found the following in her late mother's papers and asked Ann to print it.
Sorry I don't have the date of that column.
by Helen Virden
I am X,
The unknown quantity in each election.
I am the symbol of every free man and woman,
Yet I am discarded by more than half of them
Only one vote ... but I choose presidents:
I elected Thomas Jefferson, John
Quincy Adams and Rutherford B. Hayes
X was the margin.
It was by one vote that California, Idaho, Oregon, Texas and Washington
Became a part of our United States.
I have toppled crowns,
Declared wars, and broken treaties.
Used right I have brought
Peace, prosperity and happiness
To free nations.
I am important to you.
I am your secret weapon.
I am available to all, rich or poor.
I am the X that wins elections.
I am your vote.
God bless and lead those whom we elect.
-- Aunt Norie, P.O.,Box 265, Tonganoxie 66086, email@example.com.
More like this story
- Kansas Senate advances energy, elections, gambling proposals
- Kansas GOP, Democrats plan early March presidential caucuses
- Kansas Republicans hold to hard-right on social issues at state convention in Overland Park
- Current, retired educators from Tonganoxie square off in general election
- Tough voter citizenship rules pull Kansas into multiple lawsuits