Volleyball team goes 1-2 in Topeka quad
Chieftains draw No. 2 seed for Saturday’s substate tourney
Tonganoxie could only escape "The Dungeon" with one victory in Topeka.
The Chieftains defeated Topeka High in the Trojans' home gymnasium, but couldn't top Blue Valley West or Lawrence-Free State on Tuesday.
"I think we let Blue Valley West get away," said THS co-coach Brandon Parker. "We lost our focus, which was too bad because we really had nothing to lose."
We lost our focus, which was too bad because we really had nothing to lose. That's a good volleyball team."
THS defeated Topeka High, 2-0 (25-17, 25-20), but lost to Free State in two (25-15, 25-14) and Blue Valley West in two (25-19, 25-15).
Now 28-8 on the season, Tonganoxie drew a No. 2 seed for Saturday's Class 4A regional in Eudora.
Eudora (30-6) will be the top seed, while Santa Fe Trail is the No. 3 seed at 20-11. Eudora will face No. 8 Bonner Springs (6-29), while Santa Fe Trail takes on No. 6 Basehor-Linwood (9-21) in the first round. No. 4 Piper (20-14) will face No. 5 De Soto (16-8). Tonganoxie battles No. 7 Baldwin (10-25) in the first round.
The Chieftains have defeated every team in this year's substate, but Parker said the bracket isn't weak.
"It will be tough," Parker said. "I think Trail can beat about anyone on any given night.
"And you've got Eudora playing at home."
More like this story
- Tonganoxie part of investigation in shooting death of KCK officer
- Tonganoxie man sought in KCK detective shooting caught; officer killed
- Suspect in custody after Kansas City killing spree that left five dead
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Kansas lawmakers to reopen debate over police body cameras