THS earns sportsmanship award
Tonganoxie now has a state plaque to display from the state basketball tournament.
The high school recently was awarded one of three state sportsmanship awards from the Class 4A girls tournament in Salina.
Labette County and Buhler also were awarded plaques.
THS athletics director Brandon Parker said state officials based their judgment on cheerleaders, the crowd, the student section and players and coaches.
Along with the plaque, cheerleaders also received medals for their efforts.
"It's a pretty big deal for our school, the town, the kids," Parker said. "But it's total support throughout the community.
"It's a good award for our kids to win. The kids had fun with it. They did a good job cheering."
All three sportsmanship award-winning teams played three games a piece in the tournament.
Buhler defeated Labette County in the state finals, while Wichita Collegiate upended Tonganoxie in the consolation game.
THS, which won the Kaw Valley League title for the second consecutive year, finished the year at 22-4 after reaching the state tournament for the first time since 1998.
This year's state trip also marked the best finish ever for the Tonganoxie girls program. Before this year's tournament, THS never had advanced past the first round of the state tournament. The team also set a school record for wins in a season.
More like this story
- City budget suggestions cause conflict on Shawnee council
- Tonganoxie City Council holds off on excise tax decision for church
- Donation account created for toddler injured in lawnmower accident
- Tonganoxie City Council eyes former post office, to have public forum on police station July 13
- Tonganoxie City Council candidate questionnaire: Curtis Oroke