Bobcats pound THS with bats
Late-inning heroics by Basehor-Linwood helped the visiting Bobcats to a 3-0 shutout against Tonganoxie in game 1 of a softball doubleheader Thursday in Tonganoxie.
A two-run homer in the top of the fifth put BLHS ahead for good.
In the second game, two triples helped the Bobcats to a 7-1 victory and the series sweep. With the loss, Tonganoxie fell to 1-3 on the season.
Tonganoxie did have a big hit of its own in the bottom of the fourth.
Lindsay Himpel sent a shot to left field. THS coach Merri Samuels sent Himpel home on the hit. A throw to home beat Himpel there, but the ball was bobbled and Himpel scored on a triple and an error.
Unfortunately, that would be Tonganoxie's only offensive punch of the day. The score cut Basehor-Linwood's lead to 2-1, but the Bobcats came back with two in the fifth, one in the sixth and two in the seventh for the Kaw Valley League victory.
"They were just really aggressive with their bats," Samuels said.
Samuels coached many of Basehor's players when she was an assistant coach at BLHS. On Thursday, Samuels couldn't nab a win against her mentor, Basehor-Linwood coach Susan Mayberry. Samuels is in her second season as Tonganoxie's head coach.
The Chieftains were scheduled to play again Tuesday at Piper, but rain postponed that doubleheader.
Those games will be made up at 4 p.m. Monday at Piper.
More like this story
- Kansas efficiency consultants outline $2 billion in savings, efficiencies over five years
- Lansing approves Leavenworth County Humane Society permit for future building
- First land bank lots from Fort Riley overbuilding to be sold
- Kansas closer to allowing concealed carry with no permit
- Tonganoxie City Council approves Topeka firm for City Hall, police station work