THS junior varsity hits greens for three golfing invitationals
Tonganoxie High junior varsity golfers have been busy during the last two weeks.
The Chieftains competed April 12 at Gardner and then traveled Thursday to De Soto.
Tonganoxie placed eighth out of nine teams at the nine-hole meet with a 226 score. At Gardner, the Chieftains finished sixth out of eight teams with a 229.
Baldwin won the De Soto tourney with a 179, while Gardner-Edgerton won their own meet with a 185.
THS coach Steve Harrell said only one golfer at the Gardner meet wasn't in his first year on the team -- and that person was in his second year.
"I know that they weren't particularly excited about their scores," Harrell said. "For never being at one of those things, I'm proud of them for hanging in there."
Brad Robertson was Tonganoxie's top finisher at
Gardner. Jacob Poterbin led Tonganoxie at De Soto with a 52.
On Monday at the Kaw Valley League Invitational in Bonner Springs, the junior varsity finished third out of nine teams. Tonganoxie finished the meet with a 414. Bonner Springs won the meet, shooting a 388. Tonganoxie's Drew Scates placed sixth overall individually. He shot a 97 -- 50 on the front nine and 47 on the back nine.
The varsity will be back in action Saturday when the team travels to Osawatomie.
Blazer Invitational (Gardner)
1. Gardner-Edgerton, 185; 2. Paola, 185; 3. Baldwin, 199; 4. Ottawa, 202; 5. Anderson County, 211; 6. Tonganoxie, 229; 7. Louisburg, 250; 8. Osawatomie, 268.
Brad Robertson 55
Drew Scates 56
Zach Young 59
Sean O'Hagan 59
Ben Jeffries 60
Kelley Stauch 61
De Soto Invitational
1. Baldwin, 179; 2. Lansing, 180; 3. Gardner-Edgerton, 191; 4. De Soto, 196; 5. Olathe South, 198; 6 Basehor-Linwood, 213; 7. Bonner Springs, 213; 8. Tonganoxie, 226; 9. Immaculata, 253.
Jacob Poterbin 52
Drew Scates 58
Kelley Stauch 58
Zach Young 58
Ben Jeffries 59
Sean O'Hagen 64
Kaw Valley League Invitational (junior varsity)
1. Bonner Springs, 388; 2. Piper, 410; 3. Tonganoxie, 414; 4. Basehor-Linwood, 416; 5. Santa Fe Trail, 439; 6. Perry-Lecompton, 467. Bishop Ward, Immaculata and Mill Valley did not field full teams.
In Out Total
Drew Scates 50 47 97
Jacob Poterbin 55 49 104
Kelley Stauch 54 52 106
Brad Robertson 57 50 107
Sean O'Hagan 56 53 109
Zach Young 57 53 109
More like this story
- Kansas minority groups push for same-day voter registration
- Kansas' broad marijuana bill attracts bulk of GOP votes
- Kansas GOP lawmakers cite rising frustration, anger with Brownback
- Kansas House vote shows weak support for constitutional amendment on judicial selection
- Efforts to repeal Kansas death penalty may be stymied by U.S. Supreme Court's ruling