Work nears completion on new plant
If all the last-minute kinks are worked out, Tonganoxie's new $4.2 million wastewater treatment facility should be fully operational by May 1, according to Kent Heskett, the city utilities superintendent.
"We have some more people coming in next week who are going to set up for the final process," Heskett said.
The facility was built near the existing plant at 1536 E. Fourth St.
The new facility will be able to process 750,000 gallons of waste per day.
The existing plant, which was built in 1978, has a capacity of 400,000 gallons of waste per day.
An open house is expected once the new plant is complete, but Heskett said a date for the open house hasn't been set.
More like this story
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers