Judge deemed to have abused discretion in giving probation
The Kansas Court of Appeals on Friday found a Douglas County judge was too lenient when she gave lightened sentences to two men who raped a 13-year-old girl. One of the men is from Tonganoxie.
The court found Judge Paula Martin's sentences in the cases of William N. Haney and Brian K. Ussery were "an abuse of judicial discretion" and ordered that the men be sentenced again.
The decision brought tears of relief to the victim's mother, who helped lead an unsuccessful effort to vote Judge Paula Martin off the bench last fall.
For more details on this story, see the Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2005, edition of The Mirror.
More like this story
- Chief scholarship for Tonganoxie High graduate
- THS golf finishes 4th at Hayden Invitational; schedules change again for Chieftain baseball, soccer
- Tonganoxie High golfers nab 6th place at regional event
- Tonganoxie High golfers state bound after taking 2nd at Atchison Regional
- Teeing off with Tonganoxie High golf