Depot stood near Fourth Street location
Editor's note: This information about one of the areas looked at for the post office was written by Tonganoxie historian John Cass Lenahan Sr.
The area of East and Fourth street has a very important place in Tonganoxie's history. During the period of years 1880 through 1925 this area was an important hub of activity of the city.
With the railroad depot of the Missouri Northwestern railroad on the south side (in area of S&S Body Shop) stood the freight and passenger depot and across on the north side near the creek was the Angell Hotel. The depot served the passenger and freight business for two or more trains a day.
Across the street was the hotel that served the passengers complete with a fine dining room and also served the train crews. Next, west of the hotel, was the STAR Creamery that received the farmers' milk and cream. Cream and butter were shipped to Kansas City daily to avoid spoiling and conveniently the quickest route was by this railroad able to ship down in the morning and return in the evening.
This mode of transportation created a great boom in commerce and building for the city of Tonganoxie.