Lady Blues earn preseason rank
Chris Herron's Washburn volleyball team cracked the preseason American Volleyball Coaches Association Top 25.
The Lady Blues, after going 29-7 last year with an NCAA Division II Tournament appearance, are ranked No. 18 this season.
Herron, who coached volleyball and baseball at Tonganoxie, begins his fourth season at WU.
After posting a 366-88 record in the 13 seasons at Tonganoxie, Herron coached in Atchison at Benedictine and led that college to a 75-29 record in three seasons.
While at Tonganoxie, Herron guided volleyball and baseball teams to state appearances.
Washburn joins several other area colleges in the AVCA Top 25.
Washburn, a member of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletic Association conference, is joined by fellow league schools Truman State (No. 2) and Central Missouri State (No. 7).
Fort Hays State, at No. 10, is the only other Kansas school in the poll.
FHSU, a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, has an RMAC foe also in the poll -- Nebraska-Kearney is ranked No. 1.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie, McLouth student-athletes named to all-Lawrence Journal-World teams
- O'Brien, Karleskint squaring off Tuesday in Republican primary in Kansas House District 42 race
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie Planning Commission member Steve Gumm
- Kansas City Connection: The Sundry shows off its suppliers
- High on the hog: Knapp Family Farms to show off pigs on Kaw Valley Farm Tour