Early deficit dooms McLouth; team falls to 2-2 on year
The McLouth boys basketball team couldn't overcome a rough first quarter against Horton on Friday in the Delaware Valley League Tournament at Benedictine College in Atchison.
Horton jumped out to a 24-8 first-quarter lead and never looked back.
The Bulldogs responded in the second quarter, outscoring the Chargers, 12-7. That cut the lead to 31-20, but McLouth couldn't nip the deficit in the second half and fell, 60-48.
The game was a consolation game being played as part of the DVL tournament.
Kevin Stewart led MHS in scoring with 14, while Kevin Gill added eight for the Bulldogs.
Free throw woes didn't help McLouth against Horton. The Bulldogs went 1-for-9 against Horton, while the Chargers went 12-for-20 from the line.
The loss dropped McLouth to 2-2 on the season. Earlier last week, McLouth defeated Wathena, 58-45, for its second win of the season.
The Bulldogs won't be back in action until Jan. 3 when McLouth takes on its arch-rival Oskaloosa on the road.
Horton 60, McLouth 48
Score by quarters
Horton 24 7 17 12 --0
McLouth 8 12 9 19 -- 48
Horton -- Paden 16, Pederson 13, Luna 13, Hisle 6, C. Ross 5, M. Ross 4, Roberts 3.
McLouth -- K. Stewart 14, Gill 8, Kelley 7, Keling 7, M. Stewart 6, Booth 6.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie City Council denies church request in Urban Hess, cites zoning regulations
- Tonganoxie Public Library officials talk building future with City Council
- Kansas raises rents on agencies in state office buildings
- Kansas Supreme Court strikes down 2014 law on property taxes
- BB gun clubs seek access to Kansas schools