Obituary: Donald E. Pennel
Services for Donald E. Pennel, 80, McLouth, were Friday, Dec. 23, 2005, at McLouth First Baptist Church. Private family burial was in Maple Hill Cemetery in Kansas City, Kan.
Mr. Pennel died Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2005, at Lawrence Memorial Hospital. He was born June 30, 1925, in Kansas City, Kan., the son of Oscar and Murial Huff Pennel.
He graduated from Turner High School in 1943. He lived in McLouth since 1963.
Mr. Pennel served in the U.S. Army during World War II from 1943 to 1946 as a paratrooper. He was a brick mason and construction contractor. He retired in 1987. He was a member and deacon of McLouth First Baptist Church.
He married Mary Eileen Mercier on June 16, 1949, in Kansas City, Kan. She survives, of the home.
Other survivors include a son, James L., Oskaloosa; two daughters, Marsha Kay Funk, McLouth, and Terri Elaine Coffin, Oskaloosa; a brother, Orland Pennel, Stover, Mo.; two sisters, Ernestine Anderson, Kansas City, Kan., and Shirley Crouch, Thornton, Colo.; 11 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to the church building fund, sent in care of Barnett Funeral Home, P.O. Box 416, Oskaloosa 66066.
More like this story
- U.S. Justice Department awards $950,000 to 2 Kansas tribes
- Kansas State sticks with scrapping equestrian program
- Kansas lawmakers consider measure to require parental consent for sex ed
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Kansas educators' outcry over school finance measure stifles meeting