Veterinarian running for school board
Brian Huseman, who is seeking a seat on the Tonganoxie school board, had toyed with the idea of running for a long time.
And now, he's challenging incumbent Bob DeHoff in the April 5 general election.
Huseman, 44, is a veterinarian who for 19 years has worked in the field of industrial veterinary medicine.
He works for Intervet Inc. in De Soto as manager of regulatory affairs. In addition, he oversees three animal research farms.
He has served on national committees of the American Veterinary Medical Association and currently serves on the board of directors of the American Association of Industrial Veterinarians.
Huseman, who lives about four miles south of Tonganoxie, grew up on a farm near Ellsworth and attended public school there. He attended college at Kansas State University, earning his bachelor's degree, a doctorate in veterinary medicine and a master's degree in surgery and medicine.
He and his wife, Terri, have five children, ranging from a senior in high school to twins in preschool.
The family moved to Tonganoxie in 2001.
"We are very satisfied with the education our children are receiving in Tonganoxie," Huseman said. "And we commend the community for their support of the schools and for passing the school bond this past fall."
These are the issues Huseman sees facing the school district:
- Completion of the school building project using the available funds from the bond issue.
- Planning for continued growth in the district's student enrollment.
- State funding of school districts.
All of these will affect the workings of the Tonganoxie school district, Huseman said, adding, "These issues involve taxpayer money and I believe that the district must be fiscally responsible to the voters, while providing for our children."
The thought of running for school board is nothing new to Huseman.
"I have had the urge to run for the school board for a long time," Huseman said. "And I believe that now is the right time for me to do it."
More like this story
- Kansas amputee shuns self-pity, shoots for Paralympic gold
- Tonganoxie City Council candidate questionnaire: Mike Vestal
- Tonganoxie USD 464 transportation department commended; current pay-to-ride fees debated
- Tonganoxie youth pen letters to Santa for Christmas 2015
- Tonganoxie City Council candidate questionnaire: Kara Reed